Friday, January 9, 2009

Fat Free Mac'n'Cheese?!?

Okay, I know. I'm obsessed with Fage yogurt. I can't help it. It's the perfect ingredient. Tons of protein, no fat, and loads of creamy goodness; heatable or yummy right out of the fridge. This week, I created the ultimate no-fat version of my favorite comfort food: Macaroni and Cheese. Most macaroni and cheese expands our waistlines at 400 calories per cup (with an unspeakable amount of saturated fat), yet this Mac'n'Cheese is a waistline-shrinking 190 calories per cup, with a gracious 36 grams of complete protein per 2-cup serving. On top of that, it's easy to make. For the next batch I'll be combining this with vegetarian chili and baking in the oven for the ultimate winter tummy-warming treat.

Ingredients:
-2 cups Fage 0% Greek Yogurt (found in Trader Joe's or natural/health food stores)
-2 bags/ 4 cups of Kraft nonfat Sharp Cheddar (I found this at Lucky's)
-3 cups of whole wheat or regular elbow macaroni
-2 tbs wheat flour
-1 cup nonfat milk

Prep:
1. Cook the elbow macaroni in boiling water for about 13 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain; stir the flour into the milk, add the milk and flour mixture to the drained macaroni. Stir in the Fage and Cheddar until smooth and creamy; if the cheese does not melt right away, you may want to microwave before eating to get that super-creamy texture.

Click below for the nutrition label for this recipe:

NUTRITION INFO

1 comment:

  1. What a great food blog! I am going to try the mac and cheese recipe this week! ~Iliana

    ReplyDelete