Monday, December 15, 2008

This Week's Recipe: Chicken(less) Salad Superfood

When my grandmother gave me a cookbook brimming with beef and poultry recipes for Christmas, I awkwardly thanked her gesture, set the book on my shelf and didn't touch it for six months. Didn't someone tell Grandma I've been a vegetarian for two years?!? So it goes in the Morgan family, a clan spread far and wide, disjointed by distance. Oh well, Grandma means well. So there it sat, my charmingly useless gift that I felt far too guilty to ever throw away.

One day, out of a growing anger over household clutter, I began to sort my bookshelf. When I found Grandma's cookbook, I said to myself, "there HAS to be at least one thing in here that's vegetarian". Well...there wasn't. This would require some innovation if I was to justify keeping this book around.
So I got creative. I began playing with "vegifying" easy lunch recipes and stews. Lo and behold! Some of my healthiest, most fabulous favorites evolved from this humble gift. So now I bring to you a household staple, packed with complete protein and virtually fat-free. This vegetarian version can just as easily be made with actual chicken, if you prefer. I recommend making this in the evening and chilling overnight in pre-portioned Tupperware; in the morning just throw it in your lunchbox with some bread and you're all set.

Ingredients:
-170g Greek Nonfat Yogurt, plain (I use the Fage brand from Trader Joe's)
-1 package of Trader Joe's "Chickenless" (or 228g of lean poultry)
-2 stalks of celery, chopped
-1/2 cup green grapes, cut in half
-1 large carrot, shredded
-1 tbs garlic powder
-1 tbs sweet paprika
-1 tsp black pepper
-1 shallot, minced
-your favorite sandwich bread
-a leaf of butter leaf or romaine lettuce, if you like

1. After preparing all the ingredients, mix them together well. Keep in the fridge overnight or use right away.

Prep Time: Less than twenty minutes, ten if you use a food processor.
Goes well with: diced fruit, yogurt and a small sprinkle of candied pecans.
*Makes about 4 sandwiches

Nutritional Profile:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/recipe/766307/2

No comments:

Post a Comment